It may surprise you to know that recovery from cataract surgery is often a fairly quick process. Here is Dr.… Read More
How is Laser Cataract Surgery Different?
At Gulfcoast Eye Care we are committed to providing our patients with the very best in patient care and investing in the best technology to help improve your vision. We are proud to be one of the first practices in Florida to offer Custom Laser Cataract Surgery, providing this technology to our patients since November 2011.
Prior to the use of this laser, cataract surgery was performed using several small incisions fashioned manually with a blade. Now, with the use of a computer-guided femtosecond laser, these same incisions may be performed with a laser.
Anyone undergoing cataract surgery may be a potential candidate for this exciting technology although this technology is not necessary. As with any surgical procedure, some patients may not be ideal candidates due to other co-existing eye disease or variations in their normal anatomy. The following are some conditions that may prevent you from being a candidate for the use of a laser with your cataract surgery:
- Significant corneal disease or scarring that could interfere with the laser beam
- Previous corneal incisions (such as radial keratotomy) or presence of a corneal implant (such as Intacs)
- Presence of blood or other material in the anterior chamber of the eye
- Advanced glaucoma, or abnormally low eye pressure
- Poorly dilating pupils (this is sometimes seen in patients taking Flomax)
- A history of lens or zonular instability
For over 30 years, Gulfcoast Eye Care has been bringing the very best in eye care to the Tampa Bay area. Custom Laser Cataract Surgery is the next step in the great advances improving surgery. To learn more about Custom Laser Cataract Surgery or to schedule a consultation with our cataract surgeon to determine if you could be a candidate, contact Gulfcoast Eye Care today and see why Custom Laser Cataract Surgery is your clear choice.