Glaucoma Awareness Month: Tips for Managing Your Glaucoma
Glaucoma is sometimes referred to as “the sneak thief of sight” because many patients exhibit no symptoms during the preliminary stages of the disease. In order to receive prompt treatment and protect your vision, we recommend routine eye exams to screen for glaucoma before major optic nerve damage can occur. While there is no cure for glaucoma, Gulfcoast Eye Care offers many treatment options that can combat this condition. When glaucoma is detected early on, managing the disease can be much easier.
As part of our commitment to spreading awareness about glaucoma, our eye doctors at Gulfcoast Eye Care have gathered some tips for living with this common eye condition:
- Maintain good overall health with a nutritious diet, regular exercise, weight control, and minimizing unnecessary stress.
- Maintain clear communication among all of your doctors to avoid negative interactions with glaucoma medications.
- Ask your eye care specialist about the type or timing of your glaucoma medication if you are experiencing any side effects.
- Inform your eye doctor if any changes in vision or eye health occur, such as irritation, itching, watering, blurring, rainbows appearing around lights at night, or any discharge from the eye.
- Although some glaucoma medications may cause a scratchy or itchy sensation, avoid rubbing the eyes.
With the proper care and information, patients who have glaucoma can remain healthy and preserve their vision. To learn more about glaucoma treatments or tips for managing this disease, please contact our eye doctors at Gulfcoast Eye Care today.